Learning about your Family History is to know who you are...to know your spirit within.......
My Fathers side has been a little hard to find family history... I just want to know who I am.. After sending a request to the Winnebago Facebook page (yes I am a motorhome) asking about books on our history i was sent 3 name and some reference information. After looking up the first two names I found an amazing amount of information... but still felt lost due to the fact I only know my Grandmothers maiden name and my Grandfathers last name... this will not get you very far on the Native American side because they sometimes would change there name based on an event that happened in there life...I was stuck!!!!! I then looked up Alan B. Walker in reading the overview the Word "Hatchett"caught my eye as I read.....Every Warrior Has His Own Song touches on the history and modern life of the Ho-Chunk/Winnebago nation as well as the story of the Hatchett family, telling a timeless and relevant tale of bravery. I was overjoyed to say the least!!! This is written by my 2nd cousin Alan... whom I didnt even know about...his Book is about my Grandmothers side of the family going back to my Great great great Grandfather...What an amazing book!!!! Loved it and cant wait to hold the real book in my hands!!!! I found so many things in this book, I smiled, I cried, I was angry but most of all I was able to open one of the locked door's in my soul... to read of my Cho-Ka was just what I needed!!!!
Did you know:
Native Americans were not officially granted US citizenship until 1924, and some states continued not to recognize their legal rights as full citizens until the late 1940's
4 comments:
That's why you are so very beautiful!!!
Isn't it so fun to find out about your family history? I love it! (and it is so sweet to do their work)
love you, sweetie.
~a
I was so glad that you shared this with me. It is certainly special to get to know a little more! I love you!
Since I can't get here any other way but to be you hehehehe whats a girl to do???
I am so happy your getting in touch with your roots. I am very proud of you and love you to the ends of the earth.
mom
I think this is amazing, as are you. I love the person you are now and always.
Post a Comment