Monday, December 5, 2011

Lemon Truffle Pie



MmmmMMMMmmmM This pie was YuMM-O but wait and eat it the next day.. it needs a day to set to make it better :0)

this is the Pinterest version:
This pie has all the ele­ments that I love in a dessert. First of all, lemon, which might just beat out choco­late for me if I really have to choose. A lovely, creamy layer, (with lemon–even bet­ter!), and real whipped cream to top it all off!

You’ll have to blind-bake a 9 inch deep dish pie crust before you start. You can learn how with the Pie Crust Tuto­r­ial. You’ll need a deep-dish pie pan to accom­mo­date all the lemon lusciousness.

1 (9 inch) pre-baked deep dish pie crust

6 oz. white chocolate

8 oz. cream cheese–softened

1 1/2 cups heavy cream–whipped and very lightly sweet­ened (should equal about 3 cups whipped cream)

3 cups lemon curd:

8 large egg yolks

2 table­spoons mod­i­fied food starch such as Thick Gel or Clear Gel

1 1/2 cups gran­u­lated sugar

1 1/2 cups water

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (microwave 2–3 large lemons for 30 sec­onds each–you’ll get a lot more juice from each lemon)

zest from 2–3 lemons

4 table­spoons butter

In a non-aliminum, non-reactive pan, blend the egg yolks with the Thick Gel and gran­u­lated sugar. Place over low heat and slowly whisk in the water and lemon juice.

On medium heat, stir mix­ture con­stantly until it barely begins to boil. Let boil for 1 minute, stir­ring well to keep the bot­tom from scorching.

Remove the pan from the heat and add the lemon zest and but­ter. Stir well. Strain through a seive if needed to remove any bits of cooked egg.

Put all but 1 cup of the curd into a bowl and cover with plas­tic wrap. Push the plas­tic wrap down onto the sur­face of the curd to pre­vent a skin from form­ing. Place into fridge until needed.

Take the reserved 1 cup of lemon curd in it’s orig­i­nal pan and add the white choco­late. Set on stove on medium-low and stir until the choco­late is com­pletely melted and mix­ture is smooth. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.

Whip 1/2 cup of the heavy cream and set aside. Save the remain­ing 1 cup cream for the topping.

Beat the soft­ened cream cheese in a stand mixer until fluffy. Add the cooled lemon curd/chocolate mix­ture and con­tinue mix­ing until well incor­po­rated. Slowly fold in the reserved 1 cup whip­ping cream until well incorporated.

Spread this mix­ture into the bot­tom of the pre­pared 9 inch, deep-dish pie crust. Even out the top.

Add the remain­ing 2 cups lemon curd and spread out evenly.

Let set at least three hours in the refrig­er­a­tor with plas­tic wrap set onto the sur­face to keep a skin from form­ing on the curd.

Just before serv­ing, whip the remain­ing 1 cup heavy cream and top the pie. The pie in these pho­tos was topped with a thin layer of whipped cream, and then dec­o­rated with cream using a dec­o­ra­tors bag and a 2D tip. Start with a cen­ter swirl, and then fill in around it with more swirls out to the edge.




Now I did mine the easy way... I bought the Lemon Pie filling instead of making the lemon curd...I am LAZY!!!! and I also skipped out on the Pie Crust and made mine with a Gram cracker crust... this made this pie way way easy!!!!.. just an FYI I heated my lemon and when I mixed the white choc chips it makes the lemon filling thick and lumpy but when you mix it into the cream cheese it will be smooth and silky
this is soooooo good but way way sweet!

4 comments:

Darla said...

And you didn't offer me some =.(...
I loveeeeeeeeeee lemon. You are your mothers daughter. Love you <3

The Stanworths said...

Next time I make it I will make you one just for you :0) Love love love you <3

The Stanworths said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Finlinson's said...

So I live just around the block and I was not invited for a taste? I'm sure you called and I was just gone. LOL maybe next time :)